‘Sandhill’ undoubtedly has one of Kyneton’s most beautiful interiors. Rich in history, this country house has been extensively and sympathetically refurbished with contemporary and classical elegance. Sandhill is the perfect principle family residence, country escape or exclusive upmarket accommodation venture.
Located on the outskirts of Kyneton, Sandhill is of historic importance. The property retains an intact complex of utilitarian 1850’s bluestone and timber buildings, creating a wonderful village atmosphere. This property was once a part of James Donnithorne’s St. Agnes Station in the late 1830’s until its eventual subdivision. The Harper Family, who were early settlers in the district, purchased a land portion with an old bluestone dwelling and outbuildings. After Hedley and Sarah Harper married in 1881, they called Sandhill home and eventually extended the dwelling the the late 1800’s into the beautiful weatherboard home it is today.
The 238m2 house has uncomplicated symmetry. The hallway leads to a number of beautifully appointed rooms of generous proportions including the formal lounge, dining room, sitting room/3rd bedroom and breakfast room. The kitchen is everyone’s country dream – quality cabinetry, panelled walls, Carrera marble benchtops, butlers sink, Ilve 6 burner oven and Miele dishwasher. Beyond the kitchen is a French cobble stone courtyard perfect for alfresco dining. The master bedroom and ensuite is all that a bedroom should be with high ceilings, abundant soft light, space, wonderful textures all combining to give a tranquil and calming effect. The second bedroom and bathroom, complete with a Victoria and Albert stone claw foot bath, mirrors the high standards set throughout the home.
All the fine internal architectural features associated with a residence of the period have been retained – high ceilings, wide joinery, panelled doors, original wallpaper, sash windows, Kauri flooring, functional open fireplaces, French doors, bluestone walls and shingles.
The established garden is abundant with native and deciduous trees, perennials, cottage flowers, bulbs extensive lawn areas, century old fruit trees, a livestock/horse paddock and herb and vegetable garden. The 2.43ha (6 acre) farm also includes a fully restored self-contained bluestone cottage, shearing shed, garage, utility sheds and laundry building. The property is well fenced and includes all town services, bore water and NBN.
Sandhill is minutes from the centre of the historic township of Kyneton in the heart of the Macedon Ranges – a culturally, environmentally and historically important and diverse region. This thriving town is abundant with historic cottages, grand homes, leading cafes and restaurants, antique and retail stores, schools, institutional and financial services, the popular Piper Street precinct and one of the oldest Botanic Gardens in Australia. The area is well known for its artistic community and a strong regional food and wine culture. Minutes away are the historic townships and hamlets of Woodend, Mount Macedon, Trentham, Glenlyon and Daylesford.
Melbourne is a one hour drive, Tullamarine International Airport 50 minutes and the Kyneton train station is only 5 minutes away.
Sandhill is the perfect country house, offering an opportunity to secure a sympathetically restored property with contemporary and classical elegance. All you need to do is put your feet up and relax!
For further information or to arrange a private inspection, please contact – Dominic Romeo on – 0438 500 277 or email – email@example.com or Sue Gratton on – 0407 599 559 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org.