‘Kenmore’ is a property of historic, architectural and cultural importance and regarded as one of Tasmania’s significant Old Colonial Georgian country houses.
The property, offered for the first time since 1829, is a rare opportunity to purchase an exceptional historic estate that also presents an exciting and highly rewarding restoration project.
It is stated that in 1829, O’Conner would sit beneath a wild cherry tree growing on a hill overlooking The Pass and sip rum whilst watching stonemasons busily working on the construction of Kenmore Arms.
Kenmore functioned as an Inn between 1832 and 1834. After O’Connor died in 1854, Kenmore was absorbed into the larger St Peter’s Pass Estate of Askin Morrison, who was O’Connor’s business partner. Askin Morrison was a successful shipping merchant who owned several ships, farmland and property in Battery Point and warehouses in Salamanca. Kenmore has remained within the family until this day.
The two storey, 503.7sqm residence is graciously imposing. The entrance hall leads to a number of beautifully proportioned rooms including the drawing room, dining room, library and office. The kitchen provides scope for a perfect country kitchen. The ground floor also includes a bathroom, huge shearers dining room / kitchen, bedroom and sunroom. Sandstone steps lead down into a large cellar complex of 4 rooms. The upstairs level includes 6 bedrooms, hallway and large loft. All the fine internal architectural features associated with a residence of this significance have been retained – high ceilings, cedar joinery, panelled doors, Blackwood flooring, regency cedar fire surrounds, French doors, a rare entry door security bar, window shutters, symmetrical 12 – paned windows and a superb regency built-in cupboard. The sandstone exterior includes quoining, stone sills and lintels and a transom light above the 6 panelled entrance door.
The established garden is abundant with oaks and elms and expansive grass lawns. The extensive stone walls, complete with original dog stiles, are some of the finest found in Tasmania. The historic sandstone outbuildings include Stables with an original mounting stone, Coach House, enormous working shearing shed complete with holding yards and shearers lunchroom.
The 4.043ha ( 10 acre ) property is serviced by tank water ( 120,000 litre ), septic tank and mains power. Mobile reception is excellent.
Kenmore is situated 7 kms. North of the historic township of Oatlands – Australia’s most well preserved Georgian township. Oatlands is known for its numerous heritage listed buildings, from quaint sandstone cottages to grand homes and homesteads, stores, churches and public buildings. The town is home to the popular Callington Mill store, The Jardin Room, Provincial Interiors and the Callington Mill Whiskey Distillery. The cities of Hobart and Launceston are within a one hour drive.
Heritage property in Tasmania, particularly property associated with our early colonial past is greatly sought after. This Georgian vernacular is only found in the very early settlements of Australia, namely Sydney and the Northern, Southern and Midland region of Tasmania. Kenmore offers an extraordinary opportunity to secure one of Australia’s important Georgian country houses and a rewarding and exciting restoration project. Engineer’s Report is available on request.
For further information or to arrange a private inspection, please contact Dominic Romeo on – 0438 500 277 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org.