Wentworth House is a residence without peer and regarded as one of Australia’s architecturally, historically and socially important Old Colonial Georgian country houses.
In 1830, Captain D’Arcy Wentworth, brother of William Charles Wentworth of Vaucluse House, Sydney, was granted 10 acres of land on the River Clyde and built a large single storey cottage. During 1832, convict builders began ‘Wentworth Mansion’ at a cost of 560 pounds. The building was named ‘Inverhall’. In 1833, Major Charles Schaw purchased the property and immediately enlarged the house adding a second storey at a cost of 4000 pounds. He named it ‘Schawfield’. Wentworth House, as it is know today, is now offered for sale for the first time in 30 years.
The stately 2 storey residence is entered via the columned portico and double cedar doors. The impressive entrance hall greets you with a rare stone cantilever floating stairway and leads to a number of beautifully appointed rooms of Georgian proportions, including the morning room, dining room and gracious drawing room. The charming kitchen extends into a large breakfast room with French doors and views across the garden. Outside the kitchen is a walled courtyard.
The second storey includes 4/5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, abundant linen space and hallway. There are ten working fireplaces throughout the home.
All the fine internal architectural features associated with a residence of this significance have been retained – high ceilings, cedar joinery, panelled doors, teak flooring, marble and regency cedar fire surrounds, French doors and vaulted ceilings. The exterior includes moulded architraves, carved corbels, Grecian key patterns and a large central chimney stack – rare in Australia.
Wentworth House is entered through the original sandstone gateway and situated on approx. 10 acres of land with extensive Clyde River frontage. The established garden is abundant with native and deciduous trees, flower beds, bulbs, perennials, stone walling, extensive lawn areas and a listed Sequoia. The property has well fenced paddocks for horses or grazing and the numerous outbuildings include workshops, wood, storage and garden sheds, poultry sheds and a 3 car carport.
The property is serviced by town water and also has water rights from the river for garden irrigation.
Wentworth House is situated on the edge of the historic township of Bothwell, known for its’ numerous heritage listed buildings from quaint sandstone cottages to large homesteads, stores, churches, outbuildings and mills. The town is also home to Ratho – Australia’s oldest golf course, the famous Nant Whisky distillery, the Castle Hotel – licensed since 1829 – and some of the world’s best trout fishing. Nearby are the historic townships of Hamilton, Kempton and Ross. The city of Hobart and Hobart airport are within a 1 hour drive.
Wentworth House offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to secure one of Australia’s important country houses – suitable as a tourism venture, weekend country estate or gracious home.
For further information or to arrange a private viewing please contact Dominic Romeo on 0438 500 277