Property Summary

Beds: 4 Baths: 2 Car Park: 4

Property Description

Beulah is the epitome of the Georgian country house. Meticulously restored and renovated to a high standard, the house retains all the classical hallmarks of the Georgian vernacular – including symmetry, refinement and balance, yet provides wonderful modern subtleties. Beulah is one of Northern Tasmania’s finest historic houses and the perfect family lifestyle home or weekender.

Beulah comes with provenance. Historically noted and architecturally significant, the house, originally known as Iona, was built by convicts in 1835 for Dr. Salmon. It later became a rectory and was then home to the Reverend Alfred Stackhouse and his family. Alfred Stackhouse became chaplain at Perth in 1843. In that same year, he married Ellen, second daughter of Thomas Archer of Woolmers. The current owners have enjoyed this wonderful property for the past 15 years.

The scene is set from the long hedge-lined entrance drive with glimpses of the imposing white two storey 380m2 house, featuring deep expansive verandahs, decorative posts, balustrades and trimmings. Notable features include two French doors, as well as the main entrance with elegant fanlights. The impressive entry hall leads you to a number of beautifully proportioned rooms, all painted in a soft palette.

The downstairs of the home includes several formal and informal sitting rooms, mud room, 3 bedrooms, bathroom and powder room, an office, large cellar, laundry and a fully serviced modern kitchen. The staircase leads to the master bedroom, bathroom, WIR, storage room and the original servant’s attic rooms. All rooms have fine internal architectural features including regency fire surrounds, wide floorboards, high ceilings, cedar joinery, panelled doors and large 12-paned windows, all with views over the garden.

For equestrian enthusiasts, Beulah is very well set up with a rammed earth stable complex comprising of wash bay with hot and cold water, two 4.5m x 5m stalls, feed/storage room and high ceilings with a cupola. The stable has a huge courtyard, paved with lime stone, and a large fireplace – a perfect space for entertaining. This 9672m2 property includes horse paddocks, sand dressage 50m x 20m arena with Capricorn stabilising fabric, stockyard with a walk-in, walk-out horse shelter. All town services are provided.

The established garden is abundant with mature English deciduous trees, expansive lawns, hedging, flower beds and raised vegetable and herb garden. Other features include a tool shed, poultry pen, good fencing, a programmed sprinkler system, 10m inground swimming pool, 4 car garage and a paved and walled courtyard behind the house with outdoor spa.

Beulah is located in one of Australia’s oldest colonial villages on the banks of the South Esk River. Established in 1821, Perth is only 20 minutes from Launceston and 8 minutes from Launceston Airport. Melbourne is a 48 minute flight and Sydney 90 minutes. The immediate area is blessed with some of Australia’s best wine producers, historic villages and the township is home to more than 40 historic buildings, cafes, the Queens Head Inn, food stores and the best Sourdough bakery in Tasmania!

Whether Beulah, is your next family home or interstate weekender – this holding offers an exciting and remarkable opportunity to own one of Northern Tasmania’s truly exceptional Georgian lifestyle properties.

For further informaiton or to arrange a private inspection, please contact Dominic Romeo on 0438 500 277 or email dominicromeo@circaheritageandlifestyle.com.au